01626 361020

Latest News

- Sun 25th Oct 2020

Cooper makes swift return to Bucks

Buckland Athletic are delighted to announce that midfielder Nathan Cooper has returned to the club following a brief spell at Barnstaple Town. Cooper, 24, was a popular figure during his previous spell with the Bucks and scored five goals in 37 games in the curtailed 2019/20 season before joining Barnstaple in the summer. The midfielder has featured regularly for the Southern League Division One South side, including being given the captains armband for multiple games, but Cooper has decided that his future lies once again at Homers Heath and he can't wait to get started. "Its great to be back with the boys." Cooper said. "I think we've got a great squad this year and should do very well." "I've scored a few goals whilst away so hopefully I can bring them with me, we play football and create chances, hopefully I can help the club get to where they want be." "I loved every bit of last season and made a mistake leaving but I'm glad to be back." Director of Football Adam Castle was full of praise for Cooper upon his return. "Nathan fits the profile of player we are looking to bring into the football club." Castle said. "He's talented with lots of untapped potential still to bring out of him, he's young, fit and a totally committed player that always gives 100% we are delighted he has decided to return." Cooper will be looking ahead to his second debut which will be at home to Shepton Mallet on Tuesday 3rd November, 7:30pm kick-off. Welcome back Coops!

- Sat 17th Oct 2020


Buckland Athletic fell to their third defeat in four games in the Toolstation Western League following a 3-1 defeat at the hands of Roman Glass St George. The Bucks were second-best throughout at Oaklands Park despite taking the lead through Ryan Bush, as a brace from Ben Bament and a rebound from Ryan Radford gave the Glass a deserved win. Clearly encouraged by the performance at home to league leaders Plymouth Parkway on Tuesday night, manager Paul Froude would make a solitary change as Will Hancox replaced birthday boy Gavin Collins, while Callum Chalmers returned to the bench. Both teams struggled to find an opening in a scrappy start to the game, with the first chance falling for the hosts in the 12th minute as Troy Simpson had an empty net in his sights after taking the ball around an on-rushing Andy Collings, but left-back Alfie Tucker was in the right place to block the attempt. The opening goal of the game would fall to the Bucks against the run of play four minutes later, as Ryan Bush was given enough time to compose himself and cooly slot the ball into the bottom right corner of the net. There was almost an immediate response from the Glass, as Bament’s first-time strike inside the six-yard box was parried away by Collings. Chances continued to be hard to come by in the first-half, with the other notable efforts for the Bucks including an off-target long-range strike from JJ Evans in the 35th minute and Bush forcing goalkeeper Ross Grimshaw into a save after capitalising on a poor back-pass five minutes later. The Glass continued to look a threat in possession, with Bament coming close on a number of occasions until he fired in the equaliser on the stroke of half-time with a powerful strike that Collings could do nothing to stop. That goal proved to be a pivotal moment in the game, as the hosts continued their momentum into the start of the second-half with a quick-fire double chance in the 48th minute as Collings had to be called upon to parry an effort out for a corner, and the resulting set-piece saw a header from Robbie Cox landing off-target. The ball was in the back of the Bucks net less two minutes later, as Simpson had his first effort blocked by Joe Belsten and a rebound saved by Collings before Ryan Radford was on hand to slot the third attempt in quick succession into the top corner. Froude would make a change in personnel in the 55th minute as Chalmers replaced Evans, and that would see the Bucks move to a 4-4-2 as they looked to grab at least an equaliser. The signs were initially encouraging as the hosts sat back and allowed Buckland to have more possession, with Austen Booth making a commanding run before firing a driven effort straight at Grimshaw in the 62nd minute. Skipper Kieran Parkin would become the first Bucks player sin-binned this season in the 71st minute for dissent, and the Glass would soon make the numbers advantage count. Bament would grab his second of the game three minutes later with a low finish to seal the win for the Glass and compound a poor performance from the Bucks. After suffering consecutive defeats for the first time this season, Buckland slip to sixth in the Western League below today’s opponents on goal difference. The Bucks can’t afford to dwell on a disappointing display as they travel to The Lawns to face Cribbs on Tuesday night, with kick-off at 7:45pm. Bucks: 26. Andy Collings, 2. Joe Belsten, 3. Alfie Tucker, 4. Austen Booth, 5. Frazer Clark, 6. Kieran Parkin (Captain), 7. Ben Carter, 8. JJ Evans (16. Callum Chalmers - 55'), 9. Ryan Bush, 11. Lloyd Gardner (15. Ryan Keates - 86'), 12. Will Hancox (17. Gavin Collins - 70'). Substitutes (not used): 13. Danny Gaze, 14. Aaron Wellington Man-of-the-match: Ben Carter Attendance: 60 Written by Taylor Johnson

- Wed 14th Oct 2020


Buckland Athletic were narrowly beaten by league leaders Plymouth Parkway in a closely-fought Devon Derby at Homers Heath. A packed crowd of 289 saw early second-half goals from Matt Wright and Callum Hall fire the visitors into a two-goal lead, but substitute Ryan Keates’ rebound set up a tense finale as Parkway held on to extend their lead at the top of the Western League table. Manager Paul Froude made two changes from the 3-2 win at Bitton on Saturday, with Frazer Clark and Lloyd Gardner replacing the injured Callum Rose and captain Richard Groves, meaning that Kieran Parkin would be the skipper for the top-of-the-table clash. Parkway started the brighter of the two teams and created the first chance of note in the eighth minute, as Hall made a commanding run down the right before firing his effort wide. Hall would come close six minutes later as he reacted sharply to a quickly taken Parkway free-kick but his attempt would also land off-target. The visitors continued to miss the target in a dominant opening to the game, as a corner found captain Rob Farkins who glanced a diving header past the post. Despite all of Parkway’s dominance, Bucks goalkeeper Andy Collings didn’t make a save until the 23rd minute, and even then the effort from Mikey Williams landed kindly into the arms of the Yellows custodian. Parkway manager Lee Hobbs was then shown a booking for directing some colourful language at the assistant referee after a decision went against his league leaders, a sign that the visitors were getting frustrated that they hadn’t made the breakthrough. Wright almost fired Parkway ahead on the half-hour as a cross from left found him in space at the back post, but he couldn’t get enough contact on the ball as his strike hit the side netting. The Bucks defended resolutely throughout the first-half but struggled to create chances at the other end, with the closest coming in the 33rd minute after a threatening pass along the six-yard box from Alfie Tucker was waiting to be met by Gavin Collins, only to then be prevented by a last-ditch clearance. Parkway continued to be restricted to long-range efforts landing off-target as the first-half reached its conclusion with the Yellows definitely the happier of the two teams. The positive first-half display from the Bucks was quickly erased after the break as Wright scored a rebound from close-range to fire Parkway ahead inside the opening two minutes of the second-half. The Bucks would respond in a positive manner, and a slice of fortune almost brought them level three minutes later as an in-swinging cross from Gardner was met by the head of a Parkway defender, with the deflection taking the ball inches past the near post. The Yellows were having their best spell of the game and were unfortunate not have equalised moments later as keeper Kyle Moore fumbled a shot from JJ Evans which appeared to have crossed the line as the Parkway number one quickly recovered the ball. Parkway were soon back in control, creating half-chances and more long-range efforts before Hall finally got his goal on the hour as Collings could do nothing to stop his low, driven effort from landing in the bottom corner. Suddenly the prospect of a collapse similar to Tavistock last week was a possible reality, and Parkway should have further extended their lead in the 66th minute only for Collings to stop a 1-on-1 situation followed by Clark clearing off the line moments later. The Devon Derby was set for a nail-biting finale as the Yellows regained their composure and halved the deficit in the 71st minute, after substitute Ryan Keates cooly converted a close-range rebound after the initial 30-yard strike from man-of-the-match Ben Carter cannoned off the crossbar. The Bucks were growing ever-confident that they could grab an equaliser, and Keates almost became a provider six minutes later as found space on the left before squaring the ball to Clark who saw his left-footed strike tipped away by Moore. The game was almost sealed for Parkway heading into the final 10 minutes, as a corner eventually landed at the feet of substitute Ryan Richards who unleashed a powerful volley only to be stopped by a superb reflex save from Collings. Parkway knew that continuing to play their usual free-flowing attacking style was a risk as the minutes passed by, so they would resort seeing the game out, something that they’ve rarely had to do this season which showed the threat that the Bucks possessed in the second-half. Ryan Bush was put in a great position to level the game for the Yellows with the last kick of the game, but a heavy touch saw the ball go past him and into Moore’s hands as the referee blew his whistle for full-time. The defeat sees the Bucks slip to third in the Western League, 10 points behind leaders Parkway, having played at least two games more than the teams around them. The next game for the Yellows sees them make the trip up to Almondsbury to face Roman Glass St George this Saturday, with kick-off at 3pm. Bucks: 26. Andy Collings, 2. Joe Belsten, 3. Alfie Tucker, 4. Austen Booth, 5. Frazer Clark, 6. Kieran Parkin (Captain), 7. Ben Carter, 8. JJ Evans (14. Ryan Keates - 64’), 9. Ryan Bush, 10. Gavin Collins (12. Will Hancox - 64’), 11. Lloyd Gardner. Substitutes (not used): 13. Danny Gaze, 15. Aaron Wellington Man-of-the-match: Ben Carter Attendance: 289 Written by Taylor Johnson

- Sat 10th Oct 2020


Buckland Athletic returned to winning ways in the Toolstation Western League with a hard-fought 3-2 victory away at Bitton. Three goals inside the opening 15 minutes gave the Bucks a seemingly commanding lead, but they were made to hang on as the hosts came close to completing a comeback at the WDS Associates Stadium. Manager Paul Froude made five changes from Tuesday’s heavy Devon Derby defeat to Tavistock, including handing a debut to midfielder JJ Evans - who joined on-loan from Torquay United on Friday - replacing Ryan Keates. Andy Collings, Alfie Tucker, Kieran Parkin and Gavin Collins were also brought into the starting line-up in place of Kenny Griffiths, Danny Gaze, Frazer Clark and Will Hancox. The Bucks took the lead inside seven minutes, and there was a slice of good fortune to it as a poor kick out from goalkeeper Dan Worton was met by Ryan Bush, who then squared the ball across the six-yard box for Evans to score the easy tap-in for a dream debut. Bush was once again the provider four minutes later as his cross was met by a powerful header from Austen Booth which Worton could only stand and watch as the ball landed in the bottom corner. Being 3-0 up inside 13 minutes was something no-one associated with the Bucks would have predicted, but that’s exactly what happened when Collins cooly slotted the ball past Worton and into the back of the net. The hosts immediately reduced the deficit as a squared pass from the left by Joe McLennan was met by Dean Griffiths who bundled in a deflected effort from close range. Griffiths should have had a hat-trick by the 22nd minute as he missed two chances in fairly quick succession for the hosts, with the first being an off-target attempt at a tight angle before then having an effort from distance going narrowly wide in their next attack. Booth and Collins had chances to restore the Bucks three-goal lead, but it was Collings that was the busier of the two keepers as he made a superb diving save from a long-range strike that looked destined for the top corner just before the half-hour mark. The final talking point of an enthralling first-half came four minutes later as the hosts were adamant that Collings had handled the ball outside the box when rushing out to deny a Bitton attempt on goal, but the match official waved the protests away. The second-half began in the worst possible way for the Bucks, as Brandon Barnes managed to cut across and fire a driven, left-footed strike into the bottom corner. The game was a physical affair throughout and it was having an effect on the Bucks with injuries forcing Richard Groves and Callum Rose to be replaced in each half respectively by Hancox and Gaze, and goalscorers Collins and Evans were among those that received treatment but ultimately battled on to the end. Gaze replacing Rose would lead to a change in formation as the Bucks looked to hold on to their slim lead, and the substitute would join a make-shift back three alongside Booth and man-of-the-match Kieran Parkin. Everyone wearing the Bucks blue away shirt continued to put their bodies on the line to restrict Bitton to few chances, although Collings was called upon to make one more fantastic save in similar circumstances to the first-half effort from long-range. Joe Belsten almost sealed the win for the Bucks with a rare glimpse of goal in the 80th minute as he broke away on the right before firing his effort against the side netting. The Bucks right-back then produced what proved to be the game-winning moment at the other end three minutes later as he cleared an effort from a Bitton corner off the line, which the hosts believed to have hit his hand but the referee disagreed. Not many teams will get points away at the WDS Associates Stadium this season, so the feeling was of pure joy amongst the Bucks players when the referee finally blew the whistle for full-time. The win moves Buckland up to second in the Western League, eight points behind leaders Plymouth Parkway who are the next visitors to Homers Heath on Tuesday night, with kick-off at 7:30pm. Bucks: 26. Andy Collings, 2. Joe Belsten, 3. Alfie Tucker, 4. Austen Booth, 5. Kieran Parkin, 6. Callum Rose (13. Danny Gaze - 66’), 7. Ben Carter, 8. JJ Evans, 9. Ryan Bush (14. Lloyd Gardner - 53’), 11. Gavin Collins, 12. Richard Groves (Captain) (15. Will Hancox - 39’). Substitutes (not used): 16. Ryan Keates Man-of-the-match: Kieran Parkin Written by Taylor Johnson

- Fri 09th Oct 2020

JJ Evans joins Bucks on loan

Buckland Athletic are delighted to announce the arrival of promising attacking midfielder JJ Evans. Evans arrives from Torquay United of the National League and will be with the Bucks on a one-month loan. Player/assistant manager Danny Gaze was full of praise of the Bucks' newest addition. "JJ is a player I know well from my role at the college. He’s a gifted attacking midfielder with real quality on the ball and a wonderful left foot." "We are excited to have him with us and are positive he can contribute over the next few weeks.” Welcome to the Bucks JJ!

- Wed 07th Oct 2020


Buckland Athletic fell to a convincing 5-1 defeat at the hands of Devon rivals Tavistock at Homers Heath on Tuesday night. A packed crowd of 220 saw the visitors score four goals in the final 10 minutes to condemn the Bucks to a heavy loss despite Ben Carter’s fifth-minute opener. Manager Paul Froude returned to the dugout alongside Nick Milton, making two changes from Saturday’s win away at Brislington, with Danny Gaze and Austen Booth replacing Alfie Tucker and Kieran Parkin, who were dropped to the bench. The Bucks made the perfect start to the Devon Derby as Carter was first to pounce on a throw-in from the visitors before charging into the box and poking the ball into the bottom corner inside five minutes. That sparked the visitors into life as they began to control possession, and Tyler Elliott almost equalised less than five minutes later but Kenny Griffiths went down to his left to save before grabbing hold of the ball. Jack Crago would grab the equaliser for the Lambs in the 16th minute as he outmuscled Joe Belsten before cooly slotting the ball past the on-rushing Griffiths. The visitors almost completed a quick-fire comeback as captain Ben Cross fired wide four minutes later, and the Bucks would find their way back into the game and create their fair share of chances as the half progressed. Carter almost added his and Buckland’s second in the 32nd minute in similar circumstances to his opener, as the number seven dribbled with the ball before firing over from 20 yards, but controversy would arise moments later. The turning point of the game came in the next Bucks attack, as visiting goalkeeper Tom Watson came running out of his box to the right-wing and denied a long-range strike from Will Hancox with his hands, which somehow only warranted a booking from the match official. It was end-to-end action as the first-half reached its conclusion, with Frazer Clark clearing a chipped effort from Elliott off the line in the 37th minute before captain Richard Groves hit the bar with a thunderous effort for the Bucks less than two minutes later. The Lambs started the second-half similar to the first as they had the majority of possession, but were made to wait until the 57th minute for their first chance after the interval as Crago narrowly headed wide from a corner. Man-of-the-match Groves was the main attacking threat for the Bucks and came close just after the hour with an in-swinging strike that flashed past the post. That was as good as it got for the Bucks as Crago doubled his tally and fired the Lambs into the lead in the 78th minute as he bundled in a rebound after Griffiths saved the initial strike. It would go from bad to worse less than two minutes later as Crago completed his hat-trick with an inch-perfect curling effort that flew into the top corner. The Bucks were their own worst enemy for the Lambs’ fourth goal in the 83rd minute, as Jordan Annear was found in acres of space on the right before finding Tallan Burns in the six-yard box who had the easy task of slotting the ball past full-back Belsten who tried to block the attempt on the line. A miserable evening for the Bucks was made even worse in added time, as Elliott found Grant in a world on his own before taking the ball round Griffiths and slotted into the back of the net. The Bucks slip to fifth in the league table, but have played more games than teams directly below them, including Tavistock who moved up to seventh and within two points of the Yellows. The tough games continue for the Bucks, as they visit Bitton this Saturday with kick-off at 3pm. Bucks: 1. Kenny Griffiths, 2. Joe Belsten, 3. Danny Gaze, 4. Austen Booth, 5. Frazer Clark (14. Kieran Parkin - 84’), 6. Callum Rose, 7. Ben Carter, 8. Ryan Keates (17. Gavin Collins - 63’), 9. Ryan Bush, 10. Richard Groves (Captain), 11. Will Hancox. Substitutes (not used): 12. Alfie Tucker, 15. Aaron Wellington Man-of-the-match: Richard Groves Attendance: 220 Written by Taylor Johnson

- Sun 04th Oct 2020


Buckland Athletic ended a four-game winless run in the Western League with a deserved 2-1 win away at Brislington. Goals in both halves from Ryan Keates and Ryan Bush gave the Bucks all three points despite a late consolation from the penalty spot for the hosts, and the result also ended a run of four games without a goal. Danny Gaze and Nick Milton continued to take the reins in Paul Froude’s absence, and they made three changes from Tuesday’s bad-tempered defeat at Bridgwater Town with Keates, Bush and Will Hancox replacing Aaron Wellington, Callum Chalmers and the injured Lloyd Gardner. It took the Bucks nine minutes to create the first chance of a scrappy opening in treacherous conditions, as captain Richard Groves broke into the box on the right-hand side and curled his effort past the near post. The hosts gradually grew into the game, and were unlucky not to break the deadlock themselves in the 21st minute after Neikell Plummer had enough space in the box to control and turn with the ball, but his scuffed effort struck the post. Keates would then mark his first start in a Buckland shirt by opening the scoring five minutes later, as Joe Belsten struck from long-range, and the Bucks number eight instinctively got a toe on the ball to send it into the bottom corner. The Bucks were full of confidence after breaking the goalless hoodoo, but wasted chances to double their lead as the first-half progressed. In fact, the hosts would go on to end the first-half the better of the two teams, with Kenny Griffiths called upon to make multiple saves to keep the Bucks ahead. Brislington were inches away from equalising in the 41st minute, as a powerful cross from the left managed to beat a stretching Griffiths, only for Frazer Clark to be alert on the line and head the ball away from danger. The hosts continued the wave of momentum into the second-half, with midfielder Jayden Neilsen firing a 25-yard free-kick narrowly off-target in the 53rd minute. Chances were hard to come by for either team as conditions worsened at the Poplar Stadium, but the Bucks would get finally get the second goal to steer them to a much-needed victory from a reliable source. Man-of-the-match Bush met a superb through-ball from Kieran Parkin in the 73rd minute, and managed to weave his way past the Brislington defender before sealing the game with a powerful strike from 10-yards. Injuries would be the downfall of the hosts, as two substitutions in the first-half along with having to make their final change by the hour-mark would later lead to them playing the final 10 minutes a man down due to another injury setback. Despite the numerical advantage and playing with plenty of freedom and confidence, one lapse in concentration would result in Clark tripping the Brislington striker through on goal and giving away an 87th minute penalty. The Bucks centre-half was subsequently booked, and Neilsen would step up and emphatically place his spot-kick into the top corner to set up a tense finish. The numbers game would benefit the Bucks in added time, as Brislington tried but ran out of steam in their pursuit of an equaliser as the referee signalled the end of a hard-fought but deserved first away win of the season. The win moves Buckland up to fourth in the Western League table, seven points behind leaders Plymouth Parkway with a record of 15 points from their nine games so far. The next game for the Bucks sees us return to Homers Heath, as we host Tavistock in a Devon Derby on Tuesday night under the lights, with kick-off at 7:30pm. Bucks: 1. Kenny Griffiths, 2. Joe Belsten, 3. Alfie Tucker, 4. Callum Rose, 5. Frazer Clark, 6. Kieran Parkin, 7. Ben Carter, 8. Ryan Keates (14. Gavin Collins - 65’), 9. Ryan Bush, 11. Will Hancox (15. Aaron Wellington - 76’), 12. Richard Groves (Captain). Substitutes (not used): 13. Danny Gaze Man of the match: Ryan Bush Attendance: 65 Written by Taylor Johnson

- Wed 30th Sep 2020


Buckland Athletic fell to their first away defeat of the Western League season at Bridgwater Town on Tuesday night. The Bucks had the better of the possession and chances, including Gavin Collins hitting the crossbar, but Jack Taylor’s fifth minute goal earned a narrow victory for the hosts. Danny Gaze and Nick Milton continued to take charge of the team, with manager Paul Froude still absent, as they made six changes from Saturday’s goalless draw against Chipping Sodbury Town. New signings Alfie Tucker and Callum Chalmers were given their first starts replacing Lewis Tasker and Ryan Bush, with Kenny Griffiths, Joe Belsten, Ben Carter and Lloyd Gardner coming in for Andy Collings, Austen Booth, Nick Rudge and Collins. The Bucks made the worst possible start by conceding inside the opening five minutes, as an Adnan Hiroli cross from the right was nodded in at the back post by Taylor. Buckland settled into the game and Callum Rose saw his 12th minute header saved by keeper Liam Kingston following a sequence of four corners in quick succession. The Bucks were forced to make their first change five minutes later, as Gardner limped off and was replaced by Collins. Chalmers nearly marked his first start by levelling the scores in the 21st minute as he kept his balance in the box following a challenge from the visitors full-back before having his effort parried away by Kingston. Taylor almost doubled his and the hosts tally in the 27th minute after being put through on goal, but Griffiths rushed out and got to the ball quickly to end the threatening attack. The Bucks made a personnel and formation change at half-time with Bush replacing Wellington, as the striker lined-up alongside Chalmers in what looked like a 4-4-2 in the pursuit of an equaliser. Bridgwater started the second half with a few half-chances keeping the Bucks defence on their toes, including a long-throw into the six-yard box from Tom Ellis which was eventually cleared away. The recent acquisitions of Tucker and Chalmers almost combined for an equaliser just before the hour, as the former did well to win back possession before finding the latter in the box, but a heavy touch resulted in the ball going out for a goal kick. With just under 20 minutes remaining, the Bucks created the best chance of the game as Belsten couldn’t be stopped as he powered his way past multiple defenders before finding Collins unmarked, but his strike crashed off the outside of the crossbar. The Bucks were then denied two clear penalties in the final quarter of the game, with Collins being tripped by George Painter, but the referee waved away the justified protests, and Gaze would be cautioned for continuing the complaints. The second penalty claim was for a handball in the final five minutes following a long-ball into the box from Rose, but again the referee wasn’t budging. The game was feisty throughout with a number of bookings, and it would unfortunately end on a sour note as both teams were involved in a melee orchestrated by time-wasting tactics from the home dugout. A bitter end to a frustrating evening for the Bucks, who remain in third place despite now being without a win or a goal in their last four league games. Our next game is this Saturday as we make the long trip to Brislington, with kick-off at 3pm at the Poplar Stadium. Bucks: 1. Kenny Griffiths, 2. Joe Belsten, 3. Alfie Tucker, 4. Callum Rose, 5. Frazer Clark, 6. Kieran Parkin, 7. Ben Carter, 8. Aaron Wellington (16. Ryan Bush - HT), 9. Callum Chalmers (15. Will Hancox - 67’), 11. Lloyd Gardner (17. Gavin Collins - 17’), 12. Richard Groves (Captain). Substitutes (not used): 14. Ryan Keates Man-of-the-match: Joe Belsten Attendance: 231 📸 - Debbie Gould

- Wed 30th Sep 2020


#BAFC are delighted to announce the arrival of striker Callum Chalmers. 📝 The 19-year-old, who previously played for Pagham FC, made his debut off the bench against Chipping Sodbury FC and already looks to be an exciting addition to the Bucks squad. ⚽️ #WelcomeCallum

- Tue 29th Sep 2020

Alfie's Back

#BAFC are delighted to announce that Alfie Tucker has returned to the club following a short spell at Brixham AFC. 📝 The exciting left-back goes straight into the squad for tomorrow's game at Bridgewater Town FC 💪 #AlfsBack #Incoming

- Sat 26th Sep 2020


Buckland Athletic hosted bottom of the table Chipping Sodbury Town, in what turned out to be a disappointing encounter, as the Bucks were held to a second consecutive goalless draw. The Yellows created chances but were frustrated by the leagues basement side at Homers Heath, with Richard Groves’ free kick hitting the woodwork the best of the chances as the points were shared. Manager Paul Froude was absent, leaving player/assistant manager Danny Gaze and player development coach Nick Milton to take charge of the squad. Six changes were made from Tuesday’s Devon Derby draw at Plymouth Parkway with Kenny Griffiths, Joe Belsten, Gaze, Austen Booth, Ben Carter and Lloyd Gardner making way for Andy Collings, Kieran Parkin, Lewis Tasker, Will Hancox, Aaron Wellington and Gavin Collins. There was also a place on the bench for young striker Callum Chalmers who recently arrived at the club. The opening 10 minutes were scrappy, with most of the action in midfield as both teams struggled to get beyond the final-third. The Bucks should’ve taken the lead with their first chance in the 13th minute, as a collision between Sodbury goalkeeper Josh Langley and a teammate resulted in the ball falling to the path of Collins, but he sliced his shot against the side netting. That proved to be the kick-start for both teams to create chances, as Ryan Bush did well four minutes later to control the ball with his chest and turn, but his strike went wide. Seconds later, Hancox managed to find enough space to force the visiting keeper to make the first save of the game, but the best chance of the half would fall to the visitors. Sodbury winger Ellis McSharry managed to get behind Collins after being played through on the right, and despite a marauding run into the box he would see his 19th minute strike crash off the outside the post and cleared away. McSharry would continue to be found in threatening positions for Sodbury as they found their way into the game, with a counter attack on the half-hour ending with an effort off-target. The Bucks soon regained control with Collins having an effort saved in the 34th minute, before Tasker cut across three minutes later and saw his 30-yard strike tipped away by Langley. The start of the second-half saw the Yellows continue their momentum from before the interval, as man-of-the-match Wellington had a deflected effort land on the roof of the net within the first five minutes. Gaze and Milton then made a double substitution in the 55th minute, with Gardner and Chalmers coming on for Bush and Collins, but they were then forced to reshuffle the squad with their final change three minutes later as Booth replaced the injured Tasker. Parkin, who started at right-back, moved alongside centre-backs Frazer Clark and Callum Rose, with Gardner and Hancox operating as wing-backs as the Bucks switched to a 3-5-2 formation for the remaining half-hour. Chalmers’ first contribution to the game would be to win a free-kick 30-yards from goal after being bundled down whilst trying to turn with the ball. Captain Groves stepped up and almost scored a goal-of-the-season contender as he saw his strike cannon off the crossbar, and from then the chances didn’t fall as frequently for the Yellows. Bucks keeper Collings had relatively little to do, but still had to be on his toes in order to keep a clean sheet when called upon to prevent Will Davidson from giving the visitors an unlikely three points. Chalmers impressed on his debut and almost marked the occasion in the best way possible, as his movement allowed him to enough space to strike from just outside the box, but the ball flashed over the Sodbury crossbar. Despite having nearly all of the possession heading into the final 10 minutes of the game, the Yellows struggled to break through an organised Sodbury defence that were intent on claiming their first point of the season. The feeling is very much two points dropped compared to the delight of Tuesday nights Devon Derby stalemate at Parkway, especially as the Bucks have now slipped to third in the table behind Street, while other teams below are beginning to catch up having played less games. A concern for the Yellows will be that this now extends their scoreless run to three games, as focus now turns to a tough trip to Fairfax Park to face Bridgwater Town for the second time this month. The reverse fixture at Homers Heath on the opening day of the season was an entertaining 4-2 victory for Buckland with the goals coming from Jamie Passmore, Austen Booth and a brace of penalties from Carter. Bucks: 26. Andy Collings, 2. Kieran Parkin, 3. Lewis Tasker (12. Austen Booth - 58’), 4. Callum Rose, 5. Frazer Clark, 6. Will Hancox, 7. Aaron Wellington, 8. Nick Rudge, 9. Ryan Bush (16. Callum Chalmers - 55’), 10. Richard Groves (Captain), 11. Gavin Collins (14. Lloyd Gardner - 55’). Substitutes (not used): 13. Joe Belsten, 15. Ryan Keates. Man of the match: Aaron Wellington Attendance: 154 📸 Frankie O'Keeffe

- Fri 25th Sep 2020

New Rules when Visiting Homers Heath

- Wed 23rd Sep 2020


Buckland Athletic claimed a goalless draw away at Plymouth Parkway, ending the league leaders 100% start to the Western League campaign. The hosts had a number of chances, including hitting the woodwork, but the Bucks defended resolutely and hung on for the point with 10-men following Danny Gaze’s late dismissal. Manager Paul Froude made five changes from Saturday’s defeat to Cadbury Heath, with Callum Rose handed a debut in the heart of the defence replacing Kieran Parkin. Gaze, Kenny Griffiths, Nick Rudge and Richard Groves were also brought in to the starting line-up for Lewis Tasker, Andy Collings, Aaron Wellington and Gavin Collins. Parkway were immediately on the front-foot and created the first chance inside two minutes, as Matt Wright reacted quickest to a header played forward by Mike Landricombe but he placed his effort wide. The hosts continued to create half-chances in the opening stages, and it wasn’t until the 14th minute that the Bucks got their first glimpse of goal as captain Richard Groves curled a free-kick over the bar. Gaze found his name in the referees notebook in the 18th minute for going into the back of Nick Hurst in the centre circle. Wright was noticeably offside when given another chance to break the deadlock four minutes later, but the linesman kept his flag down as Griffiths produced a fine stop to deny Parkway’s number nine. Buckland’s trusted custodian then did well to not get caught out by a looping, deflected chance and moments later debutant Rose produced a superb block on the line from Hurst’s strike before slicing the rebound wide. Ben Carter was harshly cautioned for a challenge which saw him win the ball in the 40th minute, and the Bucks were at risk of letting frustrations get the better of them as the first-half reached its conclusion. It was Parkway’s turn to vent their fury at the match official when a penalty appeal was waved away less than a minute after the interval when Billy Palfrey went down following a challenge from Rudge. In a rare moment that saw the Bucks behind the Parkway defence, Groves sped away down the right and was in a position to either go for a shot or square it across the goal, with the captain choosing the former as his powerful shot hit the side netting. For all of their possession, the hosts were restricted to long-range strikes in the opening stages of the second-half, with Mikey Williams and Harrison Davis having efforts land off-target. That all changed in the final 20 minutes as Parkway piled on the pressure in a frantic finale, starting with substitute Craig Veal being found in acres of space with only Griffiths in his way, but he sent his volley over. Moments later, Parkway hit the woodwork and had another attempt cleared off the line by Rose, this time from a low header from Rob Farkins that the Bucks number six managed to block off-balance and react quickly to clear the ball away from danger. The task of hanging on to an unlikely share of the points was made more challenging heading into added time, as Gaze was shown a second-yellow for taking one for the team during a Parkway counter attack - meaning he will now miss this Saturday’s game against Chipping Sodbury. The atmosphere around Bolitho Park was surprisingly subdued throughout the game, as the Bucks frustrated the usually rampant hosts with a resilient defensive display. As the referee blew the final whistle, everyone connected with the club breathed a collective sigh of relief that the game finished goalless. Having picked up draws away at Tavistock and now Plymouth Parkway - two teams considered to be among the favourites for promotion from the Western League - the Bucks will surely be full of confidence of their own ambitions as the season progresses. The Yellows move ahead of Street into second place with a record of 11 points from their first six games, with Parkway two points ahead having played a game less. The games continue to pile-up in September for the Bucks, as they next face bottom of the table Chipping Sodbury Town on Saturday at Homers Heath, with kick-off at 3pm. Bucks: 1. Kenny Griffiths, 2. Joe Belsten, 3. Danny Gaze, 4. Austen Booth, 5. Frazer Clark, 6. Callum Rose, 7. Ben Carter, 8. Nick Rudge (16. Aaron Wellington - 67’), 9. Ryan Bush, 11. Lloyd Gardner, 14. Richard Groves (Captain) Substitutes (not used): 26. Andy Collings (GK), 12. Will Hancox, 15. Kieran Parkin, 17. Gavin Collins. Man of the match: Callum Rose Attendance: 300 📸 - Frankie O'Keeffe

- Sun 20th Sep 2020


Buckland Athletic’s unbeaten start to the Western League season came to an end following a 1-0 defeat at home to Cadbury Heath. Sam Crumb’s late looping header was enough to give the visitors all three points, as the Bucks momentum was derailed following consecutive home victories over Keynsham Town and Bridport. Manager Paul Froude originally made one change from Tuesday’s 5-0 win over the Bees, with Kenny Griffiths back in goal, but the experienced custodian was replaced in the warm-up due to an injury. Andy Collings would therefore keep his place between the posts in an unchanged line-up, with Richard Groves and Nick Rudge back on the bench after short spells out with injury. The visitors fashioned the first chance of the game in the ninth minute, as a cross from the left was met by an unmarked Liam Oswin who saw his header loop over the crossbar. After a slow start to the game, Ryan Bush created the first chance for the Bucks in the 13th minute as he played the ball across the six-yard box but Gavin Collins missed the delivery by a split-second. The visitors thought they should’ve had a 20th minute penalty when Crumb was adjudged to have been pulled back by Frazer Clark as he was ready to strike. The protests from the Cadbury management resulted in referee Matthew Redmond sending a member of staff to the stands, the second time this week that visitors to Homers Heath were given such orders. Chances were at a premium in a frustrating half for the Bucks, a far cry from their ruthless performance against Bridport, with the most notable effort before the break being Lloyd Gardner’s strike on the half-hour hitting the side netting. The last chance of the half fell fortuitously to Joe Belsten, celebrating his 20th birthday, as his cross from the right gathered enough power and movement to force goalkeeper Oliver Jones to tip over for a corner. The Yellows would have their best spell of the game in the early stages of the second-half, with Austen Booth's 49th minute effort from outside the box producing a fine save from Jones. Booth would come close again seven minutes later with a volley that landed wide of the far post. Matt Huxley was one of two first-half substitutes for the visitors as they struggled with injuries, and the Cadbury Heath number 14 almost broke the deadlock in the 62nd minute with a left-footed strike that was pushed away by Collings. Huxley continued to be a menace for Cadbury Heath, as he ambitiously looked to chip the ball over Collings but the Yellows keeper had it covered and smothered the ball with ease. The visitors were in control as the game reached its final quarter with Ben Wych firing over, and substitute Ben Brooks produced the best chance of the game moments later, as his effort from the right had Collings beaten but the ball crashed against the outside of the post. Collings was tested once again by Brooks as he parried a free-kick in the 78th minute, with the rebound from captain Toby Rennie going over the bar. The game had a feeling of being decided by a single goal, and that was exactly the case when the visitors scored the winner with less than 10 minutes remaining courtesy of a header from Crumb that looped over the onrushing Collings into the empty net. The Yellows struggled in the final-third all afternoon, as was reflected in the lack of chances in the final moments to snatch an equaliser, and they slipped to a defeat that dropped them to third in the Western League. The next game sees us visit new league leaders Plymouth Parkway at Bolitho Park on Tuesday night, 7:45pm kick-off, with the Devon Derby being an all-ticket affair. Bucks: 26. Andy Collings, 2. Joe Belsten, 3. Lewis Tasker, 4. Austen Booth, 5. Frazer Clark, 6. Kieran Parkin (Captain), 7. Ben Carter, 8. Aaron Wellington (12. Richard Groves - 57’), 9. Ryan Bush, 10. Gavin Collins (15. Nick Rudge - 67’), 11. Lloyd Gardner. Substitutes (not used): 13. Danny Gaze, 14. Ryan Keates, 16. Will Hancox Man of the match: Frazer Clark Attendance: 172 📸 - Frankie O'Keeffe

- Wed 16th Sep 2020


Buckland Athletic moved to the top of the Western League after a convincing 5-0 win at home to Bridport on Tuesday night. Ryan Bush took home the match ball with a superb hat-trick, with Aaron Wellington and Kieran Parkin adding their names to the score sheet on a memorable night at Homers Heath. Manager Paul Froude made two changes from Saturday’s win over Keynsham Town, with Andy Collings replacing Kenny Griffiths in goal and Gavin Collins coming in for Will Hancox. Visiting goalkeeper Jordon Scadding had a very busy evening between the posts, and made his first save inside the opening five minutes when he was able to hold onto a powerful strike from Lloyd Gardner. The Bucks continued to threaten down the wings, and it was Gardner again that found his way past the defence before squaring the ball to Collins who fired his effort just past the near post in the 12th minute. Bush opened the scoring six minutes later after being played through by a superb pass from Wellington, and the keeper could only get a fingertip to the ball as the in-form striker placed his effort into the top corner. He thought he doubled his and Buckland’s tally five minutes later with a close-range rebound following an initial save from Austen Booth’s shot, but was adjudged to have been in an offside position. The Yellows were knocking on the door to double their lead, as a poor clearance fell to the onrushing Tasker who volleyed wide. There was a moment for the visitors that almost resulted in an unlikely equaliser courtesy of a volley from Nathan Warren which landed narrowly off-target, but that was as good as it got all evening for the Bees. Joe Belsten would provide a pin-point cross on the half-hour mark into the six-yard box which somehow managed to evade the head of Collins and the toe Frazer Clark, any contact from either of them would’ve surely doubled Buckland’s lead. The Bucks didn’t slow down as the minutes ticked down before the break, and visiting captain Luke King did well to block a certain goal from Bush. The only frustration from a dominant first-half was that the Bucks were only one ahead, but that would all change in a rampant display after the interval. The Bucks started the second half brightly, and Collins should’ve doubled the lead inside two minutes when he dispossessed Scadding by the corner flag, only to see his effort from a tight angle hit the side netting. The elusive second goal finally arrived in the 55th minute, as a poor clearance from Gardner’s cross fell kindly to Wellington who converted a first-time strike from 10 yards. The game effectively ended as a contest less than five minutes later as Gardner’s free-kick from the right found Bush unmarked at the back post, giving him the easy task of glancing his header past a helpless Scadding. Bush was a toe away from grabbing his hat-trick with a quarter of an hour left, after a cheeky back-heel from substitute Ryan Keates found Collins on the left who played the ball across goal, but the number nine couldn’t reach it quick enough. Collins saw his effort blocked, and Bush had a curling strike tipped onto the crossbar inside the final 10 minutes as the Bucks continued to pile on the pressure on the Bridport goal despite the game already being won. Following the disappointment of missing a penalty that would’ve earned him the match ball on Saturday, Bush was determined all evening to go one-better, and he duly obliged with five minutes remaining with an emphatic strike which crashed in off the crossbar. Captain Kieran Parkin started and finished the move that saw him grab Buckland’s fifth, as a one-two with Belsten resulted in a well-taken finish from just inside the box. Parkin’s goal which concluded a wonderful evening, would send the Bucks to the top of the Western League on alphabetical order, with Street also having identical points, goal difference, goals scored and goals conceded. A busy week of Western League football at Homers Heath culminates this Saturday when we host Cadbury Heath, who themselves had made a good start to the season, with kick-off at 3pm. Bucks: 1. Andy Collings, 2. Joe Belsten, 3. Lewis Tasker, 4. Austen Booth, 5. Frazer Clark, 6. Kieran Parkin (Captain), 7. Ben Carter (15. Matt Wood - 65’), 8. Aaron Wellington (14. Ryan Keates - 71’), 9. Ryan Bush, 10. Gavin Collins, 11. Lloyd Gardner (12. Will Hancox - 68’). Substitutes (not used): 16. Jamie Passmore, 17. Danny Gaze Man of the match: Ryan Bush Attendance: 147 📸 - Frankie O'Keeffe

- Mon 14th Sep 2020


Buckland Athletic are delighted to announce the arrival of former Plymouth Argyle Football Club and Dorchester Town FC defender Callum Rose. The 21-year-old is a commanding figure at the heart of the defence, and will be a great addition to our backline. Here's what the gaffer had to say about our latest signing: Paul Froude: “Delighted to secure Callum ahead of clubs at higher levels. We think Buckland is the right club at the right time for him and look forward to his development with us."

- Sun 13th Sep 2020

Reserve New Training Kit

A big #BAFC thank you to Simon Baxter of Baxter Heat Pumps for the kind donation that has allowed our reserves to have a new training kit for this season. 👕 For more information about Baxter Heat Pumps click the following link: 👉 www.baxterheatpumps.co.uk/

- Thu 10th Sep 2020


Buckland Athletic continued their unbeaten start to the 2020/21 Toolstation Western League season with a hard-fought 1-1 draw away at much-fancied Tavistock. Ryan Bush’s first-half injury time equaliser cancelled out Josh Grant’s early opener to give the Yellows a deserved point at Langsford Park. Manager Paul Froude made four changes to the line-up following Saturday’s victory over Bridgwater Town, with Danny Gaze, Richard Groves, Ryan Bush and Aaron Wellington coming in for Lewis Tasker, Nick Rudge, Jamie Passmore and Will Hancox. The Yellows made the worst possible start by conceding inside three minutes, as Josh Grant was given enough space to turn and fire the ball into the bottom corner. On his return from suspension, Groves’ game would unfortunately end in the 12th minute after a nasty boot to the face from Tyler Elliott, leaving him too dazed to continue, and he was replaced by Hancox. The Lambs continued to create chances but didn’t force Kenny Griffiths into a save until the half-hour mark as he got a fingertip on a low strike, with Gaze able to clear the ball as it was making its way towards the empty net. Griffiths then tipped over a close-range header in the 39th minute, and that proved to be the last chance of the half for the hosts as Buckland rallied together a succession of corners and half-chances in search of an equaliser. Just as the first-half was reaching its conclusion, Bush would open his tally for the season with a well placed strike from inside the six-yard box, after some great build-up play down the right wing from Hancox. The Yellows continued the wave of momentum into the second-half and should’ve completed the comeback inside the first five minutes, as Bush was played through on goal only for his low effort to be saved by the foot of goalkeeper Josh Oak. This proved to be a wake up call for the Lambs who would lay siege on the Buckland goal with a frantic 10 minute spell of set pieces and chances, but found many of their attempts landing off target. Similar to the first-half, Buckland regrouped as time went by and would begin to frustrate the hosts into creating very few shots on goal, and the Yellows nearly took all three points from an unlikely source. Frazer Clark almost won it for Buckland in sensational fashion with nine minutes remaining, as the hosts struggled to clear a corner and the ball eventually fell to the centre-half who unleashed a left-footed drive from 30 yards that narrowly landed the wrong side of the post. The final moments of the game were nervy as the Lambs desperately searched for a winner, with a header cleared off the line - the closest they would come as Buckland valiantly held on for the point. The Yellows are sixth in the league table with four points from their opening two games as they now head into three games in the span of a week at Homers Heath. The first of those three consecutive home games is a rearranged fixture against Keynsham Town this Saturday, with kick-off at 3pm. Yellows: 1. Kenny Griffiths, 2. Joe Belsten, 3. Danny Gaze, 4. Austen Booth, 5. Frazer Clark, 6. Kieran Parkin, 7. Ben Carter, 8. Richard Groves (Captain) (14. Will Hancox - 12'), 9. Ryan Bush (12. Ryan Keates - 90’), 11. Lloyd Gardner, 18. Aaron Wellington (16. Gavin Collins - 80'). Substitutes (not used): 15. Matt Wood, 17. Jamie Passmore.

- Sun 06th Sep 2020


Buckland Athletic began the 2020/21 Toolstation Western League campaign with an impressive 4-2 victory over Bridgwater Town at Homers Heath. Goals from Jamie Passmore, Austen Booth and a brace of penalties from Ben Carter ensured that the Yellows started the new season with all three points in a six-goal thriller. Manager Paul Froude made three changes to the side that were knocked out on penalties in the FA Cup by Bitton on Tuesday, with Jamie Passmore replacing the injured Ryan Bush, Will Hancox coming in for the suspended Richard Groves and a straight swap at left-back with Lewis Tasker replacing Danny Gaze, who dropped to the bench. The opening stage of the game was a scrappy affair, with both teams struggling to find their feet in the attacking third. That all changed after 21 minutes as Passmore did well to take the ball past the Bridgwater defender before slotting the ball into the bottom corner, the first of three goals in a frantic five minute spell. The lead lasted just 63 seconds as the visitors immediately pressed forward from kick-off, with a solo run from Jack Taylor resulting in a superb chipped finish that Kenny Griffiths could only stand and watch as it landed in the back of the net. Austen Booth scored his second goal this week after 26 minutes as he cut across and fired a left-footed strike which found its way past goalkeeper Jake Viney with a heavy deflection. The Yellows were on the front foot after the interval and came close to extending their lead three minutes into the second half as Ben Carter dribbled the ball past three defenders before finding Passmore, but his effort went off target. Nick Rudge then went close three minutes later after he side-stepped the defender giving him the time and space to compose himself, only for his strike to sail over the crossbar. Against the run of play, Bridgwater would equalise for a second time in the 63rd minute as a long throw near the corner flag from Tom Ellis caused problems for the Yellows defence and captain Kieran Parkin would head the ball into his own net. This would lead to a case of ‘deja vu’ - only this time in favour of Buckland, who responded 65 seconds later by winning a penalty when Joe Belsten’s charge into the box was halted by Josh Wadham. Carter would step up and emphatically send Viney the wrong way to restore Buckland’s lead, but he would be called upon from the spot again less than five minutes later. A cross from Rudge was handled by Bridgwater centre back Jordan Greenwood, allowing Carter to seal the victory for Yellows with his last contribution to the game before being replaced by Aaron Wellington. Man-of-the-match Belsten was a constant threat down the right-hand side and it was his cross on the 77th minute that was met by Booth, but his close-range shot was saved by the feet of Viney. The visitors struggled to create chances for an unlikely comeback, and almost conceded a fifth goal in added time, only for the side netting to prevent Lloyd Gardner from adding his name to the scoresheet. The next game for Buckland is on Wednesday 9th September as we travel to Langsford Park to face Tavistock AFC, a team that many expect to be among the front-runners this season. Yellows: 1. Kenny Griffiths, 2. Joe Belsten, 3. Lewis Tasker (13. Danny Gaze - HT), 4. Austen Booth, 5. Frazer Clark, 6. Kieran Parkin (Captain), 7. Ben Carter (14. Aaron Wellington - 71’), 8. Nick Rudge, 9. Jamie Passmore (12. Gavin Collins - 74’), 10. Will Hancox, 11. Lloyd Gardner. Substitutes (not used): GK. Andy Collins, 15. Matt Wood. Attendance: 161

- Thu 03rd Sep 2020


Buckland Athletic crashed out of the Emirates FA Cup on penalties against Western League rivals Bitton AFC in the Extra Preliminary Round. Austen Booth’s third minute screamer looked like being enough for the Yellows, but a late equaliser sent the game to penalties. Will Hancox’s miss proved to be the deciding factor as the visitors scored each of their five spot kicks to progress. Manager Paul Froude returned to the dugout and made one change from the final pre-season game against Exeter City’s Under 18’s with Danny Gaze replacing Lewis Tasker at left-back. A bumper crowd of 153 at Homers Heath were treated to a sublime finish from Austen Booth inside three minutes, as he powered ahead of the defender to meet the loose ball with a thunderous strike into the top corner. The early breakthrough spurred the visitors to life, and they almost equalised straight from kick-off but a header from close range looped over the crossbar. Bitton were dominating possession in the opening 20 minutes, but chances including a volley from Harrison Kyte continued to stray off target. Despite the visitors controlling the game, Buckland nearly doubled their lead on the half-hour as Nick Rudge did superbly well to beat three defenders in a solo run, only to slice his shot narrowly wide. Lloyd Gardner had a threatening free-kick headed away on 39 minutes and Richard Groves then had his effort blocked in the same attack as the Yellows ended the half the stronger of the two teams. The visitors started brightly after the interval, as a driven effort on 51 minutes flashed past the post. Five minutes later, Gardner played in a low cross which Ryan Bush controlled in the six-yard box allowing Groves to run in and send his strike wide. The Yellows were convinced that Groves was tripped as he struck the ball, but the referee ignored protestations and signalled for a goal kick. Substitute Aaron Wellington saw his powerful effort blocked on the line as Buckland tried to secure the crucial second goal with 20 minutes remaining. Instead, Bitton would equalise on 83 minutes as a blocked shot fell kindly to Liam Bishop who volleyed past Kenny Griffiths despite appearing to be in an offside position. The controversy continued as Booth thought he doubled his tally with a dramatic late winner, only to be adjudged to have fouled goalkeeper Rob Browne as the cross from Gardner came in. The tension was in the air at Homers Heath as Danny Gaze converted Buckland’s first spot kick in between two successful Bitton penalties. Will Hancox was next to step up but saw his penalty saved by Browne. Bitton continued to successfully convert from the spot as Joe Belsten and Frazer Clark were able to keep the Yellows hanging on by a thread. However, a fifth successful penalty out of five sealed Bitton's progression to the next Preliminary Round of this seasons Emirates FA Cup. Our attention now switches to the start of the 2020/21 Western League campaign as we welcome Bridgwater Town to Homers Heath this Saturday at 3pm.

- Sun 30th Aug 2020


Buckland Athletic FC are looking for new players for its newly formed Under 8's team who play in a Sunday league. If you have a child in Years 2 and 3, (ages 6-7) who would like to play 5-a-side football and want to be part of a well-established club with great facilities but more importantly want to have fun - then please contact Jake Mitchell on 07860160111. Thank you.

- Sun 30th Aug 2020


Buckland Athletic ended pre-season with a 3-2 victory over Exeter City’s Under-18’s at South Devon College’s Sport and Fitness Centre. The game was originally scheduled to take place at Homers Heath, but bad weather during the week had caught up with the playing surface resulting in an initial cancellation before South Devon College stepped in to help out A great turnout of 88 fans at the College’s 3G pitch saw Ryan Bush score a brace as the Yellows took the spoils in their second five-goal encounter in 48 hours. Player/assistant manager Danny Gaze was able to throw senior figures Joe Belsten, Frazer Clark, Ben Carter and Lloyd Gardner back into the starting line-up after they missed the defeat to Saltash United on Wednesday night. Yellows captain Richard Groves managed to find his way through a number of Grecian defenders to create the first chance of the game on 10 minutes, but he saw his effort from a tight angle hit the outside of the post. Goalkeeper Kenny Griffiths was called upon two minutes later as he dived to his right to stop a threatening set-piece from the visitors. Buckland would break the deadlock on 19 minutes as the City defence were slow to react to a short corner, allowing Gardner’s cross to find Carter who volleyed home from close range. The Grecians would grab an equaliser on the half-hour mark, as City’s number nine slotted the ball past Griffiths after Clark had misjudged a pass from substitute Alfie Tucker. The Yellows restored their lead just five minutes later as the City 'keeper failed to deal with a cross from Richard Groves, and the ball bounced off the shin of Ryan Bush and into the empty net. Bush almost doubled his tally on 38 minutes with an ambitious attempt from the right wing, only to be denied by the side netting. City would then go straight down the other end with a quick breakaway leading to a thunderous first-time strike from their number 17 crashing against the frame of the goal. The Yellows started brightly after the interval and extended their lead on 51 minutes as Bush latched onto Joe Belsten’s delivery and placed his volley into the bottom corner. Both teams played with plenty of energy but lacked an end product in a second-half of few chances. However, City did capitalise on a rare opening on 83 minutes as the Yellows failed to clear their lines, giving the Grecians number nine a simple finish past substitute ‘keeper Alex Collins. The visitors tried desperately to grab a late equaliser but Buckland held on to end their pre-season on a positive note. Preparations for the upcoming Western League campaign have seen the Yellows earn two wins from five games, losing the other three. Our first competitive game of the season is this Tuesday night when we host league rivals Bitton AFC in the extra preliminary round of the Emirates FA Cup.

- Thu 27th Aug 2020


Buckland Athletic suffered a shock 3-2 defeat away at Saltash United of the South West Peninsula League Premier Division West. Goals from Lewis Tasker and Ryan Bush weren’t enough for the Yellows at the Kimberley Stadium as they slipped to their fourth defeat in five pre-season games. Player/assistant manager Danny Gaze returned to take charge of the side with manager Paul Froude still on holiday, and Gaze would hand a debut to midfielder Austen Booth as well as including himself, Matt Wood, Aaron Wellington, Lewis Tasker and Gavin Collins into the starting line-up. The Yellows, lining up in a 3-5-2 formation, made a disastrous start to the game by conceding inside three minutes, as the defence failed to deal with captain Dave Barker’s cross, allowing Mike Smith to tap in at the far post. Buckland would recover from the early setback and find their rhythm in the game, with Booth having the first chance of note after eight minutes as his long-range effort sailed wide. The equaliser arrived on 15 minutes after Aaron Wellington’s perseverance earned a free-kick on a tight angle, but that didn’t deter Lewis Tasker as he produced a superb in-swinging finish that flew into the top corner. The hosts, who had a promotion challenge to the Western League hampered by Covid-19, nearly restored their lead on 22 minutes through Shaun Cleary, but his header was off-target. Tasker managed to fend off pressure from the Saltash defence before switching the play to find Will Hancox on 41 minutes, and the winger cut across onto his left before curling his shot past the post. The Ashes would restore their lead less than two minutes later, as Tom Moxham would punish the Buckland defence for failing to clear their lines by firing his effort off the inside of the post and into the back of the net. Gaze would make two changes at half-time, replacing himself and goalkeeper Kenny Griffiths with Richard Groves and Alex Collins as Buckland switched to a 4-3-3 for the second half. The Yellows started the brighter of the two sides after the interval, with Tasker almost doubling his tally on 51 minutes but could only fire his effort over the bar. Substitute Groves capitalised on a loose ball two minutes later and sized up an ambitious strike from 30 yards which went the wrong side of the post. Eventually the Ashes regained control of proceedings and hit the woodwork again just after the hour, only this time Ben Holter would see his low strike crash against the post and out of play. There was little that could be done to stop Ryan Smith from effectively sealing the game for Saltash on 65 minutes, as he curled in a glorious first-time strike into the top corner that goalkeeper Alex Collins could only stand and watch. The Ashes continued to dominate after extending their lead, with another long-range strike, this time from the left-foot of Danny Lewis, flashing past the post on 71 minutes. Buckland would hit the woodwork themselves with just over 15 minutes remaining, as Tasker fooled the defender before composing himself and firing his effort that crashed against the crossbar before being cleared away. Substitute ‘keeper Collins was called upon on 80 minutes, denying Sam Hughes’ low strike with his feet. Ryan Bush would reduce the deficit three minutes later with a smart finish, but it would prove to be a consolation as the Ashes held on to claim the spoils in a five-goal thriller. Our final pre-season game sees us return to Homers Heath as we host an Exeter City XI on Friday night, and we can’t wait to welcome the Buckland Family back.

- Wed 26th Aug 2020


#BAFC are looking to bring in a qualified coach who can assist our current U14's manager. ⚽️

- Tue 25th Aug 2020


Former loanee Austen Booth has returned to #BAFC on a permanent deal from Truro City FC ✍️ The versatile midfielder was a popular figure in a loan-spell at Homers Heath in 2018 where he made 13 appearances, scoring once. 🗣️ Austen Booth: “With players and staff I know well, I’m really looking forward to enjoying my football and competing with a great local club. I can't wait to get started.” 🗣️ Paul Froude: “We are delighted Austen has committed. He ticks every box in terms of the type of player and character we want to bring to the football club. He’s a fantastic lad and hugely talented footballer.”

- Sat 22nd Aug 2020

2020-2021 Fixtures Released

FIXTURES: Here's the full fixture list for the 2020/21 Western League campaign, which sees us start at home to Bridgwater Town on Saturday 5th September. 🟡⚫️⚽️

- Tue 18th Aug 2020

Matt Wood Signs

The club is delighted to announce that England Colleges Defender Matt Wood has signed for the 2020/21 season

- Tue 18th Aug 2020

Chris McGrath leaves club

The club can confirm that popular defender Chris McGrath has left by mutual consent. Everyone at Buckland Athletic FC would like to wish Chris all the best for future 💛

- Sat 27th Jun 2020

COVID-19 Awareness!

Homers Heath prepares to be COVID-19 aware as the Club is set to re-open its doors this week

- Sat 27th Jun 2020

Player Development Coach Appointed

The club is delighted to announce that Nick Milton will be joining Buckland Athletic FC as our Player Development Coach to help us as a club, drive forward our strategy of developing our own players. This is a new role for the club and will work within the club’s current management team structure, Nick will report to Adam Castle, Director of Football. Adam Castle: “Nick will primarily be focusing on ensuring that our players are getting development opportunities within our club structure, team progression opportunities and talent identification both internally and externally. Nick will also have involvement with the Women’s team and the Junior section” “Last season as a club we started out on the journey of developing our own players for 1st team football by re-modelling the old 3rd team to a Development Team where the emphasis is very much on giving young players the opportunity to play and improve without fear of critisim or failure, the management team lead by Martin Brown are doing a fantastic job” “Some of those players have already moved into our Reserve Team squad playing Devon League football under Marc Revell, some also represented the 1st team on a number of occasions such as Alfie Tucker, Finn Pearse & Joshua Clarke” Nick Milton: “Having been a successful club manager at various clubs over the last few years, I am pleased to accept the “Player Development Coach” position at Buckland Athletic. Going back to what I do best, coaching the players on the training ground and preparation for match day, also finding/helping develop new young players”

- Tue 14th Jul 2020

Media Announcement

Buckland Athletic are pleased to announce that the club have appointed Taylor Johnson & Simon Wallace as Media & Social Media Officers. Taylor has joined the club after Graduating from Plymouth Marjon University where he has studied Journalism. Taylor is now looking to put what he has studied into practical use and feels working with us will give him valuable experience. Part of Taylor‘s role will be to cover matchday reports, interviews etc linking this with the clubs Social Media sites. Simon is no stranger to the club as he has been involved in coaching the clubs Girls Youth section and his more recent appointment to the Women’s First Team set up. Simon brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to this role and has been very active in setting up the social media for the Ladies and Girls section of the club. In recent months Simon has been assisting the committee with their new “strategic vision” for the club Media & Social Media and preparing for the re launch as we look to further develop the club digital standing. The club feel with both Taylor & Simon’s skills we have a very successful combination which will drive the club forward in a new era of Digital Media & Marketing which we at the club are very thankful for.