• Match Report
  • Saturday 9th Apr 2022
    KO: 15:00
    Home Game

    Bucks prevail with dominant second-half display against strugglers Street Buckland enjoyed a comfortable league victory at Homers Heath today, a commanding second-half performance enough to defeat relegation-threatened Street 4-1. An unfortunate own goal gifted the home side the lead, Richard Groves’ first-half opener having been quickly cancelled out by a bizarre penalty decision against Buck’s ‘keeper Andy Collins. Two more penalties in the match would follow, Buckland awarded two within the space of five minutes, Groves converting the first and hitting the woodwork with the second. Substitute Sammy Stayt added a late fourth to ensure the three points remained in Devon. The late flurry of action was contrasted with the dreariness of the opening period, fans and management alike exasperated at the sheer number of long-balls and clearances from both sides. This was probably a reflection of the two teams’ league positions, both defences seemingly lacking the composure and confidence to play progressive football. One fan’s cry of ‘play it short, it’s like watching tennis’ summed up much of the first half. There were the occasional moments of interest nonetheless, Josh Webber being played in over the top of the Street defence and seeing his lobbed effort drift agonisingly wide under pressure from ‘keeper Norris. Ryan Bush would quickly force him into further action, saving twice adeptly from close-range. The pressure would eventually pay however, a magnificent double save only eventually falling into Groves’ path to smash home the opener. A further flurry of action would follow just minutes later, miscommunication between defenders Edmundson and Farkins allowing a rare Street attack, the tireless running of their youthful opponents forcing Collins into a rare save. The following clearance forced him to jump against the Street defender, a seemingly innocuous challenge deemed a penalty that captain Harry Foster easily tucked away. With the sides level at half-time, it would be Bucks that came to dominate the second period, relentlessly attacking the right-hand channel to great effect. It was through this route that they managed to restore the lead, Charlie Johansen exposing a stretched defence on 48 minutes to cross a low ball into the box which was haplessly turned in by a Street defender. This was to also prove the turning point of the game, Buckland earning two penalties in the space of just five minutes. Groves coolly slotted away the first towards the right and was unusually picked to take the second; sure enough, his latter effort on 70 minutes could only hit the post. Buckland’s dominance would continue with further chances, hitting the woodwork on two further occasions. Groves saw a late drive rattle the crossbar and Stayt saw his first touch of the game do likewise, before managing to convert a cool volley in the game’s final moments. The second half had proved the true potential of this Buckland side, who must now surely be counting down the days until the opportunity offered by a new season, whilst Street will be left hoping that this isn’t the dead end of their Western League journey.

    Reported by: Lewis Calf