Welcome Fixtures/Results Latest News Team Profiles League Table Shop Venue Hire History Contact Details

Match Report

Saturday 30th Jul 2022
Ashton & Backwell
KO: 15:00
Away Game
Result 1-2

The first day of the season is always an exciting day in the calendar for football fans and when Buckland scored twice in quick succession it looked like it would be a great opener for the travelling fans. Ashton & Backwell made it a hard fought three points but the visiting supporters made the journey back to Devon with three points. Neither side started the match brightly and it was a game that could’ve gone either way with neither side really creating any clear cut chances in the opening quarter of an hour. With both teams struggling to keep hold of the ball it was a moment of excellence which created the opening goal as Owen Stockton cut a gap in the home defence when he found a pass through to Josh Webber who fired into the bottom corner to the delight of the travelling fans. The visitors were given a golden opportunity to double the score less than a minute later when the home defence failed to clear their lines and resulted in Ryan Bush being bought down for a penalty. Ben Carter stood up to the spot kick but saw his effort well saved by home custodian Lewis Coombes down to the keepers’ right. Supporters didn’t have to wait long for the second goal to come as Buckland continued to take their chances. Ryan Bush looked up to see the keeper advancing off his line before he calmly finished from outside of the box to double the lead. Although taking a comfortable lead chances were few and far between and Buckland had a golden opportunity to get a third ten minutes before the break. A Ben Carter corner was headed onto the crossbar by Bush and as the defence failed to clear the ball fell to Frazer Clark whose effort was blocked. Any hopes of a clean sheet were dashed just before the break as the Stags managed to pull a goal back through Miles Hardidge, the ball was played back to him from the left hand side who calmly finished past Andy Collings into the opposite corner. Buckland never really got going again after conceding and the hosts had chances to get back into the game in the second half including hitting the cross bar. The second half will be more memorable however for the confusion which left supporters scratching their heads. A big hold up in play at the beginning of the second half had supporters wondering what was given, unsure if a penalty had been conceded, Frazer Clark was sent to the dug out for some sort of treatment but when play finally resumed Buckland were given the ball. It was a similar situation late in the half as well when Ashton & Backwell players were appealing for a penalty after a shot was blocked but play resumed with a Buckland free kick. Not the best of games to watch but three points in manager Dan Harts first league game see’s Buckland off the mark with a win.

Reported by: Tom Besford